- Drive ROI: The CMO is expected to bring in true value and show real results on every initiative to propel business and growth. The focus is to monetize the brand to get maximum returns
- Being a team player: Build dynamic and collaborative teams with a blend of new age and traditional skills relevant to the organization and customers
- Be a custodian of the brand: This is beyond creating logos and driving brand awareness. Reputation management today is a critical pillar of brand management and the CEO not only expects the CMO to build the brand but also deploy all possible resources to manage the brand reputation with both internal and external stakeholders
- Focus on innovation: The marketer today should be able to create solutions that are out-of-the-box and is able to leverage technology to reinvent marketing on an ongoing basis
- Be a strategist and a collaborator: CMOs today are expected go beyond vanilla marketing and collaborate with other departments they interact with and make marketing a strategic enabler of organizational goals. He or she should also enable the organization with strong insights that will help strengthen the go-to-market strategies and make them impactful.
- Go digital: The digital world today can completely transform the way we do marketing and be a differentiator in the way we enable sales and drive brand loyalty
- Drive customer centricity: Marketers need to understand that creating a good brand experience for customers helps boost better brand image and have an impact on the business growth. We live in a highly connected world today and customers like being associated with a brand that connects with them and responds to them. Therefore, brands need to get responsive and stay connected with the end customer and continuously raise the value proposition of the brand
- Have an integrated brand strategy: Finally, although digital is the future, marketers need to understand that every consumer has a different perspective and different need. In order to fulfill these varying needs, marketers need to keep an open mind for the various channels of traditional, social and digital.
You might also like:
Tuhina thrives working in an entrepreneurial environment. In the past, she has worked with both digital media start-ups and leading publications. She has been writing specifically on advertising, media and marketing. With more than a decade of experience, she enjoys creating and curating content and understanding brand complexities. Follow @TuhinaAnand